quarta-feira, 15 de março de 2017

A Grande Depressão e a cozinha de Eudora Welty

[...] But the WPA gave me the chance to travel, to see widely and at close hand and really for the first time the nature of the place I'd been born into. And it gave me the blessing of showing me the real State of Mississippi, not the abstract state of the Depression. The Depression, in fact, was not a noticeable phenomenon in the poorest state in the Union. In New York there had been the faceless breadlines; on Farish Street in my home town of Jackson, the proprietor of the My Blue Heaven Café had written on the glass of the front door with his own finger dipped in window polish: 
Eudora Welty, Jackson, Mississippi, anos 30.
[...] The local Standard Photo Company of Jackson developed my rolls of film, and I made myself a contact-print frame and printed at night in the kitchen when I was home. With good fortune, I secured an enlarger at second-hand from the State Highway Department, wich went on the kitchen table. It had a single shutter-opening, and I timed exposures by a trial-and-error system of countdown.
Eudora Welty no prefácio do seu One Time, One Place: Mississippi in the Depression : a Snapshot Album.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário